A Healthier You in 2018
Your health may limit what you feel comfortable or safe doing.
- Why is your health important to you?
- What would you be able to experience or enjoy if your health improved?
- How would that make you feel?
- What do you think should be your first step in improving your health?
For many losing weight is the first step to better health. Of course science has linked obesity to a variety of health problems including certain types of cancers, cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes, but those menacing diagnosis can seem like far off possibilities. Let’s focus on today. Losing weight can mean you don’t tire as easily, feel better about yourself, are able to move more easily, have less joint pain, don’t worry as much about falling or injury, can mark something off your bucket list, or are perceived in a more positive light by others. Maybe it just boils down to being able to do something you used to be able to do that you aren’t confident you can still do in your present health. Whatever a lighter, fitter you looks and feels like, how will you work toward making that picture a reality?
“Actually once you can explain and verbalize why you want to lose weight, you are well on your way to attaining your goals. At the Y we are eager to collaborate with you to develop an individual plan that you can have confidence will work,” explained Owen County YMCA Program Director Laura Gentry. “Of course we always have group exercise, adult sports leagues, personal training, and the support of caring staff, volunteers and members,” clarified Gentry. “However, beginning January 2, we also offer a special program, the Get Fit Team Weight-Loss Challenge, designed for those who are just embarking on their wellness journey with the primary goal of weight-loss.”
The Get Fit Team Weight-Loss Challenge incorporates the encouragement found in the team dynamic, the accountability of weekly weigh-ins, the guidance of fitness professionals, the advice of a registered dietitian, and incentives and prizes for reaching goals. Participants are encouraged to reduce their body weight by 5% over the course of 12 weeks by eating a balanced healthy diet and increasing physical activity in a sensible and moderate fashion. The focus is on sustainable weight-loss for a lifetime of better health.
The YMCA Get Fit Team Weight-Loss Challenge includes:
- Unlimited adult group exercise classes (January 2-31) at the Owen County YMCA
- Diet and nutrition meetings
- Opportunity for individual counsel on diet from a registered dietitian
- Team session with a trainer or coach
- Weekly weigh-ins
- Collaboration and guidance in setting goals
- $20 gift card for individuals who lose 5% or more by final weigh-in on March 23, 2018
- Chance for $100 and $200 cash prizes for individuals losing 5% or more whose team has an average loss of at least 3%
Teams are comprised of 1 to 3 adults. Enrollment is open now at the Owen County Family YMCA. All teams must be enrolled no later than January 8, at 6:00pm. Teams are encouraged to enroll early so they can begin participating in all the program offers.
All challengers must weigh-in on January 2, 4, or 8, anytime between 6:00am and 6:00pm.
2018 Get Fit Team Weight-Loss Challenge Information
Lose 5% or more of your body weight over the 12 week period and receive a $20 gift card and, if your team averages a loss of 3% or more, a chance to win $200 or $100 cash prizes.
- weekly weigh-ins each Monday 6:00am-6:00pm
- unlimited January adult group exercise classes
- opportunity for individual counsel on diet
- one team session with a trainer or coach
- diet and nutrition meetings
- support from your team and YMCA staff
- ALL participants must complete and sign the team enrollment form, as well as provide the contact and personal information.
- Please be prepared to schedule a team meeting with a Trainer or Coach when your team registers or at the initial weigh-in. Bring your Get Fit Folder and its contents, including the completed Health History Participation Form with you when you meet with your trainer/coach.
- Please provide a team name that is appropriate at the time of registration.
- All Challengers MUST WEIGH AT THE YMCA ANYTIME 6AM-6PM JANUARY 2, 4 or 8.
- Read this information sheet, “Get Fit Calendar 2018”, “Tips for Setting Your Wellness Goals”, “Portion Size Guide”, and “Policy for Training, Coaching and Orientation Appointments”. Complete and sign “Health History Information Form”. DO NOT complete “Building Smart Goals” until you meet with your trainer, coach or dietitian.
- Begin tracking your food and drink consumption and exercise with the enclosed “Daily Food and Activity Journal” or on www.MyFitnessPal.com. If you opt to use the paper journal, you have been provided with 2 copies. Please make additional copies as you will want to continue journaling throughout the Challenge for best results.
- Challengers must weigh on March 22 or 23, anytime 6:00am-6:00pm for the Final Weigh-in, to be eligible for individual gift card or cash prizes.
- Only teams that have all members weigh at the Final Weigh-in and average at least 3% loss, will be eligible for the $100 and $200 prizes. Only those team members who have lost at least 5% will be entered in the drawing for those cash prizes.
- Reminder: Because of the nature of a challenge, all fees are non-refundable.
Get Fit Calendar 2018
January 2, 4 or 8
Monday, January 8
- Participation is on a first-come-first-serve basis, so please arrive early and pick up your pass at the Y Member Services Desk.
- Ballroom Dance is excluded because of the progressive nature of the class.
- Challengers have the option of registering for unlimited group exercise classes after the free January classes for only $28/month via monthly bank draft. Inquire at the Y Member Services Desk for details.
- Get Fit Folder and its contents
- The completed Health History Participation Form with you.